The St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum will participate in Smithsonian Museum Day on Saturday, September 22. Museum Day is an annual celebration of boundless curiosity hosted by Smithsonian Magazine. Participating museums and cultural institutions across the country provide free entry to anyone presenting a Museum Day ticket. The Museum Day ticket provides free admission for two people on Saturday, September 22, 2018. Hours are 9am to 6pm at the Lighthouse on September 22.
Guests must present a printed ticket in order to gain free entry. Tickets will be available for the public to download beginning at midnight on August 15, 2018. Registration is available at www.smithsonianmag.com/museumday.
At the St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum, climb 219 steps to the top of the 165-foot tower for a breathtaking view of historic downtown St. Augustine, the beaches, and the nation’s oldest port. Discover St. Augustine’s rich maritime history at the site of Florida’s first lighthouse. Explore exhibits in the restored Keepers’ House about the lives of the Lighthouse keepers and their families, and shipwreck discoveries made off the coast of St. Augustine.
Also on site, a WWII US Coast Guard Barracks, Behind the Scenes Tours, a Maritime Hammock Scavenger Hunt, an archaeology lab, and a View from the Top video (for those who don’t climb the Lighthouse) in the Maritime Education Center. For little ones: A shipyard playground and hands-on activities throughout the exhibits and grounds (children less than 44 inches tall can’t climb the tower but get free admission). Don’t forget to shop in the museum store for unique lighthouse and maritime gifts.
- Wrecked! The Story of a Revolutionary War Shipwreck
- At Home with the Harns: A Look Inside the Home of a Keeper Family
- Legends of the Light: Stories from the Lighthouse’s Past
- US Coast Guard Barracks from WWII with artwork depicting the US Coast Guard
OTHER THINGS TO DO
- Self-Guided St. Augustine Light Station Tour
- View from the Top video (for those who don’t climb and those under 44 inches)
- Behind the Scenes tour: on the hour from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Keepers’ House
- Heritage Boatworks: Building on Florida’s Maritime Heritage
- Northeast Florida Shrimping: Foundation of a Global Enterprise
- Maritime Hammock Nature Trails & Scavenger Hunt
- Archaeology Lab
- Pirate Ship Playground
- Hands-on children’s activities
- Gift shop with Lighthouse & Maritime items
For more details about the St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum, visit www.staugustinelighthouse.org or call 904-829-0745.