This summer, the St. Augustine Music Festival returns for its 12th season of free classical music concerts in the historic St. Augustine Cathedral Basilica. Founded in 2007 by Jacksonville musicians Jorge A. Pena and Jin Kim-Pena, the festival welcomes audiences as varied as its concert programs. Classical music “newbies” mingle with seasoned aficionados, true to the festival’s mission to educate, elevate and entertain all through great music, regardless of ability to pay for a ticket. Individual and corporate donors support the festival financially to keep the concerts free to the public.
This year’s event includes the return of young violin sensation Nigel Armstrong, a two-piano concert evening featuring a Mozart double-piano concerto and Saint-Saens’ “Carnival of the Animals,” charismatic cellist Andres Diaz and a program combining the Cathedral’s two, magnificent pipe organs with brass ensembles. Chamber music also plays a prominent role, with works ranging from the 18th to the 21st centuries.
The festival’s six performances are staged over two weekends, (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) – June 21-23 and June 28-30 – with all concerts starting at 7:30pm. Each concert is held in the Cathedral Basilica and the doors open promptly at 7pm. The events are free but seating is first come, first served.
Thursday, June 21 – VIOLIN VIRTUOSITY
Nigel Armstrong, violin
- Overture for Strings in C Minor – Franz Schubert
- Rondo in A Major for Violin – Franz Schubert
- Caprice Viennois for Violin and Orchestra – Fritz Kreisler
- String Quartet “Death and the Maiden” – Franz Schubert
Friday, June 22 – MUSIC FOR BRASS AND ORGAN
(Program to be announced)
Saturday, June 23 – RUSSIANS AND ROMANTICS
- String Quartet No. 7 in F-sharp Minor, Op. 108 – Dmitri Shostakovich
- Sextet from Capriccio Op. 85 – Richard Strauss
- String Sextet in D Minor, “Souvenir de Florence” Op. 70 – Piotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Thursday, June 28 – MOZART AND A MENAGERIE
Wendy Chen and Ileana Fernandez, pianos
- Piano Concerto No. 10 in E-flat for Two Pianos, K. 365 – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Carnival of the Animals – Camille Saint-Saens
Friday, June 29 – TWENTIETH-CENTURY SENTIMENTS
Andres Diaz, Cello
- Fancy on a Bach Air – John Corigliano
- Cello Sonata, Op. 19 – Sergei Rachmaninoff
- Piano Quintet in G Minor, Op. 57 – Dmitri Shostakovich
Saturday, June 30 – LYRICAL SUITES AND HAYDN TREATS
Andres Diaz, Cello
- Capriol Suite – Peter Warlock
- Cello Concerto No. 2 in D Major, Hob VII:2 – Joseph Haydn
- Idyll Suite for String Orchestra – Leos Janacek
- Symphony No. 64 in A Major, Hob I:64 “Tempora Mutantur” – Joseph Haydn
For more information on the 2018 St. Augustine Music Festival, visit www.staugustinemusicfestival.org.
To find more events in St. Augustine, visit our online calendar of events!