The holiday season is also the season of giving and a time to share smiles with those around you. As you gather to drink hot cocoa and sing carols with family and friends, it’s important to remember there are seniors in your community who would love to celebrate, too. However, many seniors live alone, without someone to share this special time.
Home Instead Senior Care® is once again offering Flagler and St. John’s counties a chance to spread joy to local seniors. Through the Be a Santa to a Senior® program, community members can give a senior a special holiday gift. Since the program’s inception in 2003, the Be a Santa to a Senior® program has mobilized more than 60,000 volunteers, provided approximately 2.1 million gifts and brightened the season for more than 700,000 deserving seniors nationwide.
“The Be a Santa to a Senior program is all about including seniors in the joy of the holiday season,” said Doug Myers, Chief Operating Officer of the Home Instead Senior Care offices in the region. “A simple gift shows them they are a loved and vital member of our community.”
Be a Santa to a Senior is a true community program, with generous support from area businesses, nonprofit organizations, retailers, numerous volunteers and members of the community, especially the Council on Aging of St. John’s County. The program would not be possible without their support.
The Home Instead Senior Care offices serving, St. Augustine, and St. John’s and Flagler counties have partnered with several retailers and organizations to help with gift collection and distribution, including Bite a Bagel, Berkshire Hathaway, Walgreens, Bealls Outlets, and senior living communities Allegro, Benton House of St. Johns, Brookdale and Silver Creek.
It’s easy to help. Visit one of the participating locations listed below and look for the Be a Santa to a Senior tree on display through December 16. Each tree will be decorated with ornaments featuring seniors’ first names and gift suggestions. Holiday shoppers can choose an ornament, buy the requested gift and return it to the store with the ornament attached. There’s no need to worry about wrapping — community volunteers and program partners will wrap and deliver the gifts to local seniors in time for the holidays.
“While it may seem like a small act of kindness, it can really make a difference for someone this holiday season,” said Myers. “Watching seniors open the gifts they received through Be a Santa to a Senior and seeing the smiles and appreciation on their faces is one of my favorite parts of the holiday season.”
Be a Santa to a Senior trees can be found at the following locations:
- Allegro, 1101 Plantation Island Dr. South, St. Augustine
- Bealls Outlet, 316 FL-312, St. Augustine
- Benton House of St. Johns, 115 Benton Ln., St. Augustine
- Berkshire Hathway, 112 Seagrove St. Ste. 210, St. Augustine
- Better Home and Gardens Real Estate Synergy, 412 Beach Village Drive, Flagler Beach
- Bite A Bagel, 105 Nature Walk Pkwy #108, St. Augustine
- Brookdale, 150 Mariner Health Way, St. Augustine
- Silver Creek, 165 Silver Creek Ln., St. Augustine
- Walgreens, Palm Coast Landing 5000 E, FL-100, Palm Coast
- Walgreens, 1109 Palm Coast Pkwy SW, Palm Coast
- Walgreens, 5445 FL-16, St. Augustine
- Walgreens, 215 Palm Coast Pkwy NE, Palm Coast
- Walgreens, 3975 A1A S., St. Augustine
For more information about the program, visit www.BeaSantatoaSenior.com or call 386-986-1931.